Monday, July 18, 2005


DON'T ASK IF I ENJOYED THIS MOVIE... I don't really remember seeing it. I went with Caden and Tina to see it at an Omnimax Theatre. Is this supposed to be the new thing in movies? It was overwhelming. The primary thing I remember is looking into mouths full of horrible teeth. I'm sure that on the normal viewing screen this would have been an amazing touch of realism. Helena Bonham Carter is one of the most absolutely beautiful women in the world. In super-gigantic-gargantuan-humongous movie she's not so attractive any more...plus, she had bad teeth, too.

And, Johnny Depp? What the hell was that all about? Was he being campy, psychotic, a little too Michael Jackson, or what. I saw far too many close ups of his overly made up face with a glimpse of gigantic pores where coverage was impossible. BTW, he was the only one with "white" teeth. It didn't help.I am usually a fan of everything that Tim Burton does. What I could comprehend of the sets in this movie appeared to be...who knows? I couldn't tell. Giant blobs of color that I couldn't tie in with anything else because of this giant rounded screen in front of me. I will wait until I can see it on DVD before I pass any real judgment on it.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

aww can Johnny Depp ever look bad (however close up)? i just want to eat him :))

Bradley Herring said...

Those round Imax screens are awful, no matter what they say. Just watch at a normal theater and sit up close. Same thing, no distortion.

Cade said...

From the upper lip down he reminds me of Fire Marshall Bill from In Living Color.

Cade said...

(Johnny Depp)

Carolyn said...

I have a hard time with remakes of classics. I loved Gene Wilder in the 1st Willy Wonka, have not seen this remake yet but am predisposed not to think much of it. I wasn't crazy about the new Stepford Wives either, nor do I think we needed yet another remake of the Bad News Bears so soon. I wish Follywood would get more original and stop butchering the old and sequeling everything else, but that's just me :)

John said...

Seeing the promo shots of Depp in this movie simply leaves me thinking: "here's another guy I would never, ever, let my kids do a sleepover with.

Unknown said...

From everything I've heard, this film version is much closer to the book than the last was, which in my opinion can only be a good thing! So many people seem to assume that the 'original' was a film, and forget that it was actually written by Dahl (who, incidentally, hated the first film for being too saccharine...).

Webmiztris said...

they put giant fake teeth on Johnny to make him more cartoony....

That's too bad you didn't like it! I'm dying to see it.

I don't think I could 'not' like anything that Johnny is in. ;)

FreedomGirl said...

Although it was truer to the book than the original movie, I hated it.

Go see March of the Penguins. It will get rid of the icky feeling left by Willy and his Oompas.

Miss Krys said...

The Ompa Lumpa songs in this one were bad. I just really didn't like them and I yearned for a good old rendition of Ompah Lumpa dupitee dooh....

Miss Krys said...

However, I thought the child playing Charlie was a great little actor. His grandpa was way weird though.

I watched this film today and am amazed at the resilience of some in this world. These children live in the red light district of Calcutta w...