Saturday, February 19, 2005

WHO WOULD HAVE EVER THOUGHT?

...that I could be so hopelessly in love with my grandson? Friday nights are our nights. He hasn't been here for a while...that growing up and all...basketball games, birthday parties, after school activities and all. Last night we were together again.

He hasn't been feeling well. The Minnesota winter cold and cough season and all. He usually rides into work with my roommate on Saturday morning and leaves around 8 in the morning. Today his game is at 1 PM and I am going to see the future of basketball play. (Did I ever mention that his Dad is 6'7"?) To him this meant that he could stay up late and "sleep in" in the morning.

Dinner was a burger and fries. Since he didn't feel well, I carried a tray up to his room and he ate in bed while watching The Family Guy DVD. If anyone had ever told me the absolute joy that doing something so simple could bring to a person, I don't know that I would have believed it. Watching Little Mr. sit there and simply say, "This is great, Granny." almost brought tears to these cynical eyes.

He went to sleep around 11...which is the time he usually goes to sleep on Friday night...that staying up late stuff sure is fun. He only coughed a few times during the night...but I heard every one of them...and worried.

He woke up this morning around 9...came in my room for a hug...and, I made him breakfast in bed. What else are Grannys for? His favorite, scrambled eggs with ham and toast and again, just handing it to him melted my heart. Now, scrambled eggs with ham is not so tough a dish to prepare, but, to him..."It's the best breakfast I ever had."

Anything you want, my little one, anything you want...if I can get it for you, I will. Then..."Granny, you know what I really like about my room? The beautiful sunrise." Okay, if I have to steal it for you I will.
A small cough or two and from his mouth issues the words, "Don't worry Granny, I'm just trying to clear the cough out." I love this boy...I really, really love this boy...

If I ever wondered on the meaning of life, if I ever questioned why we are here, if I ever pondered the reasons for existence...well, the answer came in loud and clear this morning...It is the untainted love of and for a grandchild.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a snapshot of how it should be. you and your grandson. grandparents are the best. ox's

Allan said...

My maternal grandmother taught me how to fish when I was a wee lad of about 6.

When I was 12, she taught me how to handicap thoroughbred race horses.

I miss her.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, isn't it funny how loving and caring for another human being gives you the greatest satisfaction and perspective on your own purpose and meaning?

Lovely post!!

Anonymous said...

I am looking forward to that part of my life. You sound like you are a wonderful grandparent! And yes you are blessed.

C said...

that post brought tears to my eyes.
you are so sweet. caden is lucky to have a granny who loves him so.

Panthergirl said...

Oh.....how lovely!!! It's truly the one and only thing I look forward to about getting older.

Unknown said...

Lucky you! I can't wait to have grandchildren ... you can pamper them and spoil them silly, and not be responsible for them! ;)

btw, do you have 2 blogs? i think i blogrolled the wrong one. wondered why you weren't updating!

I watched this film today and am amazed at the resilience of some in this world. These children live in the red light district of Calcutta w...