Friday, April 01, 2005

YUP, IT'S BEEN A LONG AND UGLY WEEK

So, there I was minding my own business...as much as I can mind my own business...when this tickle cough thing developed in my chest. Oh well, we can move past this, I have had the flu shot, the pneumonia shot, it's the end of March, it's probably just the beginning of the hated allergy season.

Last Saturday wasn't so bad...Sunday wasn't so great...and by early Sunday afternoon when I was huddled under six blankets and couldn't stop shivering, I had to admit, there might be something wrong. Started to throw up. This is not a good sign. I know, take the temp, 102.5, take some aspirin...back to bed...continue to shiver, only worse. Jaw now hurts. Head hurts. Take temp again...103.5...uh oh, this means something. My wonderful skills as a diagnostician kick into overdrive as I tell my roommate she has to drive me into town to the emergency room.

Long story short... IV's to combat the dehydration--with antibiotics to combat the "borderline" pneumonia, two shots of Dilaudid for massive brain pain--into every life a little sunshine must fall, more tylenol--hell, it hasn't worked so far, save it for someone who can't take real drugs, and a mere lifetime later I am back home in bed...until today.

Yesterday wasn't so bad, I went out on a limb and had eggs and toast...whoopee, and when that worked splurged with my first meal in almost a week...that would have been the infamous, frozen pepperoni pizza. Pitiful, aren't I. I had broth and tea for the four days leading up to that, with a side of applesauce thrown in for variety. As far as I was concerned, that pizza was pure heaven.

Today I went to work for three hours and am now at Tina and Caden's. The computer is not fixed yet, so in my fever driven mind I couldn't surf the net for "Nose Rings made from soup cans" on Google. The other things that happened or didn't...Terri died...hell, I was ready to die for her just to get the issue out of my face. What I do with my life and my death are my business and I really wish you would keep yours in the same place. Then, when did someone NOT dying become so damned interesting. Hey! Guess what. The pope still isn't dead. Hey! Guess what. The pope still isn't dead. I remember when Popes just magically died (Pius XII) or unexplainedly died (because a Catholic Pope can be too liberal?)...this is going to be the second death watch within a period of a month and as I always wonder when sensationalized news takes over...Didn't anything else happen? Remember how the world quit making news after 9/11? I really thought that when the news came back that the world could have fallen off of its axis for all of the coverage it would have gotten.

Now, the highlight of this week was the Food Network. I have learned the difference between Greek and Turkish baklava, how to make "Fake" Baked Ziti, that Iron Chef America sucks...give me back that guy with the pompadour...But, the real highlight was the additional prescription for Lortab. Let's see, "You're sick, antibiotics...you're vomiting, anti nausea medication, you have a headache...have some Lortab." Hell, I was so loaded on the Dilaudid, I even brought up Oxycontin since it is my one last drug to "test" out. I finally see that back when I really wanted all of this shit, I should have just told them I was 58 and they would have fallen all over themselves giving it to me. Now, it just adds up in the hidden stash simply for my amusement and because I feel like I'm getting away with something.

Okay, that's it. This was quite exhausting and there only so much one can do...Caden was my sweetie and filled in...twice...for me...and now, I am back. Although, I am sure that there are some who would question it.

8 comments:

DementedPhotographer said...

YEAH! I'm SO glad that you are back and feeling better!!! Ya' had me worred for a moment there!

Don't do that again, ya' hear? ;)

-G

golfwidow said...

Just popped in from Blog Explosion. You're a really good writer and I was riveted. Glad you're feeling better and that you got your pizza.

Helen said...

Hey Sarah! Love reading your blog and was sorry to hear you were so under the weather. Good to have you back.
Helen

Russ said...

Good to have you back!!

Colorful Stationery said...

Sorry to hear you are sick. I can totally understand. I had walking pnuemonia over the Xmas holidays. Its no fun being sick and having to take a bunch of medicine. I hope you are back to 100% soon.

Carolyn said...

Hi, just surfing and came across you, nice blog! Mind if I blogmark you or exchange links perhaps? You can find me at my blog link attached to my name here if you want to visit first. Get well soon, I love reading your stuff!

CheekyMoo said...

So glad you're back and feeling a bit better. Sounds like you really went through quite a time. Keep resting and taking care of yourself!

Mamacita (The REAL one) said...

I'm glad you're back and feeling better. Cuz, you know, I like you and stuff.

I watched this film today and am amazed at the resilience of some in this world. These children live in the red light district of Calcutta w...