Sunday, January 23, 2005

JOHNNY CARSON

Johnny Carson gave me the two funniest moments that were ever on television. And, I was lucky enough to see them both as they happened.

The first was the memorable Ed Ames and the hatchet throwing contest. There has never been a funnier skit in the history of television. All unplanned, all Johnny. I'm not sure what year it was, but it was very risque and the funniest thing I had ever seen.

The second was Johnny, Buddy Hackett and Carol Wayne. Buddy was never funnier than when he and Johnny were playing off of each other. And for those of you who remember Carol Wayne, well, her biggest contributions to the Tonight Show were also her biggest assets. The punch line was, "I just want to know where she keeps the cookies." Delivered by Buddy with the straightest face he could ever attain, and Johnny was without words. It didn't happen often. And when it did, you knew it was a special time.

Johnny brought me more laughter and escape from loneliness over the years that I care to remember. I have missed him since he left the show, never watched Jay, he just wasn't Johnny and substituted David, all the while knowing he would never attain the level that Johnny had set.

He-e-e-e-e-r-es Johnny...never again.

2 comments:

DementedPhotographer said...

I cannot help but laugh aloud just THINKING of the Ed Ames stunt! The look on Johnny's face was priceless!

My favorite continuing piece, though, was when Jim would bring animals on the show. Some of the most wonderfully hillarious moments ever, including when the marmoset took a dump on Johnny's head.

-G

Allan said...

He picked on everyone who thought they were important. He was gentle to everyone who thought their lives meant nothing.
What an awesome epitath for the man.

Thank you.

I watched this film today and am amazed at the resilience of some in this world. These children live in the red light district of Calcutta w...