Thursday, December 23, 2004

DEVILS IN RED DRESSES

See those two innocuos looking packs of gum up there? I think I hate them. I know I hate them. I have not smoked since February 18, 2002. I have done this with the use of Nicorette gum, willpower and the desire to see my daughter raise the most wonderful grandson in the world. However, I am now addicted to Nicorette gum.

I don't want to be addicted to Nicorette gum anymore. So, because I am so brilliant, I figured out how to break that addiction. I would wean myself from it by chewing some gum with similar qualities and yet without the nicotine. The similar qualities would be...gum for one and sharp, biting, unpleasant taste for two.

I started chewing the "devils in red dresses" about a week ago. I switched off between the two because when the "Fire" gum is chewed, it is truly about FIRE. It lights up your mouth like Dante's Inferno. But, I persevered. I did this for about a week. Switching off between the two substitute gums and the nicotine laden fix. Sure, my mouth burned. But, it was working.

In fact, it was working so well that I could go hours without a piece of gum in mouth. This was for a very good reason. My mouth hurt from the red devils. I wasn't even eating to replace the gum. Why? Because my mouth hurt so bad that I couldn't even drink soda.

Now, I am not a wimp. I am the farthest thing from delicate you can imagine. I like to think of myself as pretty damned tough. I am pretty damned tough. Apparently, the delicate inner lining of my coarse mouth is not as tough as the rest of me. My mouth has been burned to a crisp. It is swollen, red, painful, and basically, unable to function. One side is burned so bad that my cheek is swollen out and I look like one of those cartoon faces with a bad tooth.

None of this, however, tempts me in any way whatsoever to pick up a cigarette. My mouth burn will go away. My emphysema won't.

7 comments:

Allan said...

One side is burned so bad that my cheek is swollen out This sounds like you are allergic to cinnamon oil.

Nathan Frampton said...

Congrats on quitting. This past year I tried my friend's Nicorette Gum for fun. Not a user of nicotine, I became very ill and had to sit on the coach for a while and drink water.

Michele said...

My holiday message to you:

In this season of celebration I also celebrate the wonderful people who have touched my life with their glorious spirit, wit, wonder, and joy. This list of people does indeed include you.

Wishing you love, joy and wonderment during this glorious time of year.

DementedPhotographer said...

I do hope your moth has recovered to the point of being able to sing all your favorite holiday songs!

And DO have an absolutely incredible holiday!

-G

Bad Penny said...

Hola Chica!

The best way to kick that nicorette is to parse it out. Put a teeny little bit in instead of the whole piece. OR just endure the hell for three days and then sigh releif...

Every time I remember quitting smoking I thank my lucky stars I never shot heroine.

Merry Christmas girl friend! Penny

Anonymous said...

Just don't make the same mistake I did and follow a piece of that fire gum with some pizza topped with scotch bonnet pepper hot sauce! Then you'll really be hurtin'!

Anonymous said...

Girrrrl. My poor mother used to leave her hypnosis appt (they hypnotise away your cravings supposedly) and smoke WHILE chewing nicorette and sporting the patch on her arm. She would do this all the way to her accupuncture appt. (They stick needles in you to help you quit. Not sure how that was supposed to work. Maybe it made you want the needles out of your face more than you wanted a smoke, thus keeping you smoke free for ten minutes?) She never did quit. I read somewhere it is easier to quit heroin. Good luck!

I watched this film today and am amazed at the resilience of some in this world. These children live in the red light district of Calcutta w...